Saturday, February 12, 2005

Who Rattled Szeremeta's Cage?

This month's information packed and fun filled issue of Poker Europa includes an unprovoked and personal attack on me by the editor Nic Szeremeta.

The accusations are so risible as to not really worth responding to. But I will.

Firstly he attacks my thoughts on the PokerStars tsunamui relief appeal. Fair enough I suppose, but he neglects to mention my post of January 25th "A Good Point, Well Made..." where I changed my view for the final time to being generally supportive of the appeal. Since when has questioning motives of a big company been a crime anyway?

Then the only piece of the srticle which made me genuinely angry. He says I pledged $00,000 out of my win at Luton to tsunami relief. What business is it of his or anyone else whether I donated? If and how much I gave is a matter for me and my conscience. Would he would broadcast exactly how much he gave to charity if he won a big tournament? (A moot point I know, seeing as it's impossible he wins one). You have to question the motives of a famous person when they donate a large amount of money to charity and then let the media know all the details. In the words of Smashy and Nicey do they "do alot of work for charidee..."?

Finally, perhaps the most ridiculous part of the attack. He has often criticised the fact I and others dwell on the negative and don't boost poker. So, I write a wholly supportive piece about Marcel Luske saying what a great guy he is and he picks out five words "He's not a great player" and prints them. My view of his playing ability s purely subjective and means nothing.

Perhaps Mr Szeremeta should practice what he preaches and not dwell on the negative.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blog culture has made lazy journos even more lazy as they are now 'creating' controversy by putting blog views out of context in their own work to make something out of it. If you put your views fwd. why be annoyed when they are quoted by someon else. The fact is that you have been 'quoted out of context', but you have been quoted none the less

9:42 AM  
Blogger Lord Miros said...

I particularly loved the picture -'Mr. Popularity'. I laughed like a drain...

12:20 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

While I agree entirely, we all know who rattled his cage, however long ago it was :-)

gl in Paris,

Andy.

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Szeremeta's comments show him in his true colours; a shitty brown !
It is not even worth a comment. Only the small minded people of this world will want to bitch about nothing, and make the limelight shine in their direction.
My ten penneth.

9:18 PM  
Blogger David Young said...

Nic attacks you, because you accused him of defrauding Card Player subscribers in Europe. Nic has done a great deal for the European game and doesn't deserve the abuse he gets. I can think of a lot of people who are revered as saints who have done nothing that wasn't purely in their own interest.

Nic deserves better than he gets.

DY

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com