Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Nicking blinds from the Rich and Famous

The life of a poker player is just a whirl of glitz and glamour.

Take last night for example.

After shouting myself hoarse at Loftus Road, in the vain hope the R's could fluke an equaliser against Sheffield United, I popped down to the Vic in search of a cash game.

After a couple of pints and a stir fry (the Vic stir fry is absolutely different class) I found a cosy seat in the £100 holdem game.

Five years ago if I sat down in a cash game at the Vic I would have expected to know or at least recognise probably 80% of the players. But, this is the brave new world of poker. Apart from Francis Rohan and Claire Hall I knew nobody.

As Francis was in the game, it was a good natured affair. We soon got yakking about this and that, and somehow got talking about the poker scene on Eastenders where Dirt Den bet various properties and cars in a pot. "I call your pub and raise you my nightclub". That sort of nonsense.

Anyways, as I glanced around the table I remarked to the geezer in trap 2 "Actually you look like Beppe DiMarco".

He looked at me kind of weird. "The name is Michael".

As soon as he opened his mouth it became obvious. I was playing poker with Beppe. He's kissed Martine Mccutcheon! He's hit Grant Mitchell!

Rubbing shoulders with the glitterati. And semi bluffing with a flush draw against them at the same time!

Who says poker isn't glamourous?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He also played snooker at Colours in Redhill many moons ago Keith.

He was pants.

Love the blog

Lovejoy

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com