Monday, August 16, 2004

The incomparable Mr Willy Tann

Willy Tann won the Grosvenor UK Open at Luton this weekend. There couldn't be a more popular winner. Willy is a true gentleman and a phenominal poker player.

We played on the same table for about 7 hours through the tournament and I would like to share one hand where Willy showed his true brilliance.

The blinds were 300-600. I had the BB. Willy raised to 1600, everyone quickly passed. I called in the BB with QJ. Willy had about 18,000 at this stage, I had about 35,000.

The flop came T92. I checked and Willy bet 3000. Willy usually bets the flop after raising so this was no surprise to me. I decided to call rather than semi bluff reraise. The turn was a blank, a 5 or something. I checked, hoping to get a free card, which I received when Willy checked too. I now was pretty sure Willy had a hand like a big ace, as I was certain he would bet any sort of pair on this board.

The river paired the deuce. Going with my read I bet out 6000. This represented nearly half of Willys remaining stack. He went into the tank and called me with KJ. An amazing call I think you will agree. But it was Willy's actions afterwards that impressed me more than anything. There was no crowing, no arrogance and definitely no rub downs.

Five minutes later he put his hand on my shoulder and said "Now please, don't go on tilt Keith" and I know he really meant it too.

I know Willy has had his knockers, but he really is a gentleman, and over the years has given me tons of valuable advice. He has an impeccible table presence and never has a bad word for anyone. I couldn't be happier he won the tournament and trust there will be many more triumphs to come in the years ahead.

Willy Tann is a legend. End of story.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I see Willie he gives me some solid advice and words of encouragement. He is as you say a true gentleman and an extremely nice guy.

Regards,
Richard

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not quite end of story mr camel. try asking a dealer if mr tann is the perfect gentleman. i like you have nothing but good to say about mr t as a fellow player and friend off the table but have to say he's not exactly the dealer's friend and i for one think this is not really acceptable. 'impeccible (sic) table presence'?

4:23 PM  
Blogger The Camel said...

I have heard this from a couple of other players.

But, I have played on the same table as WT on countless occasions amd I have never heard him be rude or abusive to a dealer.

If I did, he would go down in my opinion greatly as I consider this one of the worst crimes a player can commit.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com