Monday, January 17, 2005

Housekeeping

A few points of order and stuff.

Firstly, I am not the Poker Bastard.

I would admit guilt if I was the Bastard, as Derek from Gutshot rightly says, I am in the business of self promotion. All that free publicity I am missing out on! But, sadly, you better look elsewhere for the culprit.

Secondly, I promised you the full Mark Strahan story. It is coming, but I just need to see someone to confirm one fact in the story. I would hate to provide incorrect information!

Bets: The first two have now been settled. Detroit finished third in the NFC North and made up 10. I should have been more bullish than 10pts, but anyways, we cop 70 points. Minnesota imploded and got knocked out on Sunday. Randy Moss is an incredible talent but also a complete tosser. They have a very useful set of WR's without him (Burleson, Campbell and Robinson). If Mike Tice had any balls he would trade Moss for a run stuffing DT and a couple of high draft picks. It might do wonders for Vikings team morale. Anyway we do 20pts. 50pts profit so far.

One small bet to add to the portfolio. Ashley Alterman is quite amazingly priced up at 80/1 for the Poker Million. He hasn't played many big tournaments recently (I assume he is too lazy to drag his arse out of the chair in front of his computer). But believe me, he truly is an excellent player who won't be fazed by the tv cameras and is an excellent closer. Check his results out: http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=260
There are maybe 5 players in the field who I would price up shorter than Ashley.

5pts Each Way Ashley Alterman (iconoclast) for the Poker Milion 2005 (80/1 Ladbrokes)


Provided the weather allows me to travel, I am off down to Luton for the first big tournament of the year tomorrow. Not quite sure how many events I'm going to play yet. The monkey no limit for sure, and I'll play it by ear after that... I'd like to play the grand at the weekend, but I can't really justify it at the moment on my depleted bankroll.

Still, 2005 has started pretty positively, I've discovered how profitable the turbo SNG's are. They are just dreadfully dull...

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It never ceases to amaze me that people think you could be the pokerbastard. Anyone with even the slightest grasp of English (i.e. 2% of the poker forum reading public) would be able to see that though your views may often be similar your styles of writing are radically different and unless you're an awful lot cleverer than i realised there is no way they could have been written by the same person. Having said that of course the concurrence of views is noticable (though PB as far as i can tell doesn't have your extraordinary views regarding the necessity for purity of motives when giving charitable donations) though of course most of these views would be shared by any right thinking individual if not to the same psychotic degree.
But anyway i'm glad to hear 2005 has started well and i'm hopeful from your comments that it may finally have hit you that, until the bankroll is back in shape, profit not fun must be the driving force. Good luck.
BP

9:33 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Turbo SNGs (and their equivalents on Party) are indeed, in three words, profitable but boring. I've shelved them for the moment because I'm working on my MTT game. But I'm very confident these provide the best hourly rate / bankroll combintaion on the Internet, if you can stand the tedium !

Andy.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Milkybarkid said...

Hi Keith

Say hi to me if you see me in Luton...

I was checking they had seats left for tomorrow and apprantly they are increasing the capacity to 140 players for the week so there should be plenty of runners.

Ben

6:39 AM  
Blogger SimonG. said...

At the risk of going over old ground, wouldn't the tedium of rustling up a grand during the day on SNG's be outweighed by the enjoyment of getting to play the main event with no downside to your bankroll?

Obviously not, I guess, otherwise you would be doing it...

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm puzzled. What's making the turbo SNG's so dull for everyone? I'm finding the $55's profitable and fun. The normal SNG's on Stars can take forever, the turbos seem just right. . .

steve

10:16 AM  
Blogger The Camel said...

The reason they are boring is because they are so damn predictable.

You play to a formula, exactly the same way every game, unless you pick up a huge hand early on.

It's the poker equivalent of factory farming.

11:51 AM  
Blogger The Camel said...

The reason they are boring is because they are so damn predictable.

You play to a formula, exactly the same way every game, unless you pick up a huge hand early on.

It's the poker equivalent of factory farming.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Basically, you hardly ever have an interesting decision to make. Due to the payout structure, it's only worth playing premium hands for the first few levels. Once the blinds are high enough, you switch to "all in" mode and you have one binary decision per hand. There are exceptions but they are too infrequent for me to stay interested for too long.

If I was short of bankroll though they would be the number one game to play, no question.

Andy.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Didn't see that Keith had already answered that one, sorry.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can this really be true re. Marcel Luske in Barcelona EPT main event - i.e. being given his seat to make sure he was on the TV table.

Surely Kremser and co would not allow it.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy,

Although the Turbo's frequently become an all-in fest, I don't think its the case that that is the only play. Surely blind stealing with very small, almost minimum raises is an important part of the game. It is for me at least.

Gazza

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the dirt on mark S.

Good luck in Luton.

Karabiner

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you post stuff about me,I will publish the stories about your cake eating exploits in Reading and the days when you lost your head on the magic roundabout.
Be Warned.
MS

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aha, you have strahan worried, there actually is some dirt, its not just all your own paranoid fantasies after all,
BP

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com